Monday, April 1, 2013

to tongue a Spoonful




Oh 
Vanilla Ice-Cream 
what makes the Cravings 
so repetitive 
you are not Exciting 
nor inherently Adventurous 
you can be, I guess, 
less ordinary 
when Swirled with

chocolate 
or dotted 
with peanuts

but you Pale 
alongside Strawberry or Caramel 
and 
your frozen yogurt 
and 
soy imitation 
brethren Chemically Nip 
behind my molars 
like diet-Soda So, 
you are Pure 
yes, you are 
Uncomplicated 
what I’d call Original

yet 
you have 
no Kick or Spice 
only 
the occasional Freckle Sane and Steady 
predictably spaced 
amongst other tiny 
Ground-up beans

what pulls me in 
when there’s Cayenne Blood Orange sherbet 
waiting in the freezer, 
what Sparks the desire to 
tongue a Spoonful of you 
when the presentation 
is 
so

stubbornly Subdued 
your flavor too absent and

my Taste-buds 
do 
not 
Pop 
in the wake of your 
imagined taste 
Hell, 
Ha-Ha! 
the most
unfulfilling Note 
you even Reek 
of something 
Swooning 
Fat-free